Copyright © St. Patrick's Church, 2015. All rights reserved
St. Patrick's Church and Cemetery
Welcome to St. Patrick’s Church and
Cemetery, the only English-speaking
Catholic Parish in the Archdiocese of
Quebec. Founded in 1832, the parish
serves the Anglophone community which is composed of not only Irish descendants
but also many other ethnic communities living in the greater Quebec city
area. Please join us at one of our
regular daily masses.
The first St. Patrick’s Church in Quebec City was built in 1832 on what would become McMahon Street. The founder was the Rev. Patrick McMahon. At that time the Irish Catholic population of 7000 made up approximately one fifth of the city’s population. The Church was designed by the nineteenth century French-Canadian architect, Thomas Baillargé. Prior to having their own church, the Irish Catholics had been assigned particular hours at the Basilica and Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church in Place Royale for their services. Mass was celebrated for the last time in the McMahon Street church on May 28, 1967. The building was later destroyed by fire in 1970. While nothing of the interior remains, the façade has been preserved and incorporated into the Cancer Research Centre of the Hotel-Dieu Hospital complex. The old church bells were restored to the belfry in 1991.
By 1915, a new St. Patrick’s Church had been built on Grande-Allée to meet the needs of the growing community. The Grande-Allée church was greatly enlarged in 1958.